GV BG Smiling Face

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Meaningful Exchange

I noted the following in my diary yesterday:

Avi and I talked and came up with the idea for#MeaningfulExchange

This is after today's dispiriting crit with #KenHollings where it was (rightly) highlighted that my idea for a machine which provides jokes for 1p isn't quite hitting the spot.

The new idea is as follows:
For 1p the machine would offer potential users the chance to hear a joke I harvested for £1 from a stranger. At the same time as replaying the jokes the machine will record the users reaction. It will thereafter produce a receipt which would feature their photograph. In exchange for the receipt, the uni shop downstairs will offer some small discount (maybe 10% or 10p - something related to £1/1p) for drinks bought that day. This serves as both an incentive to participate and as a way to encourage the user to have their face in the right spot. I'm not sure if I should offer drinks as then I wouldn't need the receipts for my records as the shop would need them as proof of purchase.

The idea behind this work is that every exchange in it is meaningful in a true, practical way to all the participants:

  • The strangers got £1,
  • the users get a funky receipt or drinks at reduced cost
  • the shop gets the exposure (with me, most likely covering the costs)
  • I get exposure

win win win win

No comments:

Post a Comment