GV BG Smiling Face

Friday 16 March 2012

What type(face) of city is this?

Here is a result of 2 week long research originating from a 1916 poster showing the original type used by London Underground.
Today at the final crit I showed this double sided poster.


Front

Back

I am immensely pleased with this work despite the fact that the text on the front was deemed 'unresolved' by the tutor.
This is the first time I worked seriously with a grid and I will forever keep using it!

The back side of the poster contains a phrase from Emma Clarke's Spoof comments for the tube. Clarke is the genuine announcements voice for several of the Underground's lines.
Emma has kindly allowed me to use this for my project - to hear her spoof tube comments please visit www.emmaclarke.com.

The bibliography for the text can also be found on the back.

Left: Original Johnston Sans Poster at the V&A Right: early pre-grid plan for the poster

No comments:

Post a Comment